THE WONDER OF GIRLS
THE WONDER OF GIRLS
Understanding the hidden nature of our daughters.
ABOUT THE BOOK
Michael Gurian, whose national bestseller The Wonder of Boys presented a radical and enlightening view of parenting sons, now offers a groundbreaking approach to raising daughters. In The Wonder of Girls, Gurian, himself the father of two girls, provides crucial information for fully understanding the basic nature of girls: up-to-date scientific research on female biology, hormones, and brain development and how they shape girls’ interests, behavior, and relationships.
He also offers insight into a culture mired in competition between traditionalism and feminism and a new vision that provides for the equal status of girls and women yet acknowledges their nature as complex and distinct from men. He explains what is “normal” for girls each year from birth to age 20; what developmental needs girls face in each stage; how to communicate effectively with girls; and how to cope with developmental crises such as early sexuality, eating disorders, parental divorce, and more.
With personal insights, practical tips, real-life anecdotes, and accessible science, The Wonder of Girls creates a new parenting paradigm. Key elements include:
- a nature-based approach to why girls are the way they are
- the connection between the need for profound attachment and the physical and brain development of girls
- support for a girl’s inherent need for intimacy
- tools to protect girls’ self-esteem and emotional life
- a new approach to girls’ character development and rites of passage.
The Wonder of Girls is a revolutionary approach to raising girls that combines groundbreaking biological research with practical parenting advice.
Bestselling author Michael Gurian debunks long-standing myths about girls and helps parents get to know their daughters from the inside (brain, hormones, physiological development) out. Understanding the developmental stages of basic female nature will help parents find the answers to common questions, such as:
- how can I provide the best discipline for my daughter without crushing her independence or self-esteem?
- how much backtalk should I allow from my daughter?
- how do I help my daughter get through my divorce?
- how can I help my daughter handle her own feelings and emotions on a daily basis?
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
MICHAEL GURIAN is a New York Times best-selling author of twenty eight books, including The Wonder of Boys, The Wonder of Girls, and What Could He Be Thinking? He has been featured multiple times in nearly all the major media, including the New York Times, the Washington Post, USA Today, Newsweek, Time, The Today Show, Good Morning America, National Public Radio, The 700 Club, and many others.